|Next patient please!|
On first inspection the repair wires look to be correcting the classic signs of battery damage. They were pretty well done but a bit thick for my liking and, as I have some uber thin kynar wire knocking around, I decided to remove them with the intention of replacing them.
|One of the least damaged I've seen...|
|Missing pad - no problemo!|
Black screens are listed as being a CPU fault but, in reality can be caused by any number of things. Dodgy logic chips, broken tracks at Gary's socket (as mentioned), busted ROM etc.
Anyway, just to be sure I swapped over the CPU with a spare but this made no difference. Then I swapped Gary with a spare but this still made no difference. I don't have a spare 8375 Agnus or a 2.04 ROM but I do have a couple of 1.3 ROMs. Just out of interest - I wasn't even sure the 1.3 ROM would work on an A500Plus - I swapped out the ROM for one of these.
And it booted.
|Well, this is awkward..|
Before I start dismantling I decided to carry on looking over the board in case of any other issues. There were a couple of minor things. The pads at jumper 9 and jumper 7A are gone. This is partly my fault. Slightly over exuberant cleaning, battery acid and the heat of a soldering iron were too much for them. They were there when I started cleaning and, well, you can see the result. They were in poor condition but had been that way since before the previous owner. Their non-existence is not really an issue for a standard Rev 8A board though.
|JP7A - Gone, but not forgotten.|
|J9 - Missing, presumed gone.|
|It wasn't me...honest..(probably was actually)|
In part 2 I will dismantle my A500+ and attempt to test whether there are any other problems on this board. I might also replace the mouse and joystick connectors. 😀