|Green edge connector|
|This does not look good|
|Curse you Varta!|
So, anyway. A quick power up and all I get is, rather unsurprisingly, a black screen. This would normally mean a CPU failure but given the extent of the battery damage, this is a bit meaningless.
First things first, I removed all the removable chips to check for damage to the sockets. Again, as is fairly typical with these things, the Gary socket was toast. A connector in the socket had already disintegrated due to the corrosion from the battery leak and Gary himself was looking a little worse for wear.
|Alas, poor socket...|
On to Paula. Oh, dear. The bottom half of her socket is almost as bad as Gary but the top looks OK. This will still need replacing though.,.
The other chips faired rather better. The two CIAs, Denise, the ROM and CPU were all unscathed so no socket replacements needed for these. It looks like I will need to replace at least one, possibly more of the logic chips that are in the are of the acursed battery. The chip U12, which is a 74LS244, took the brunt of the leakage. Fortunately, I have one of these in my box of bits. I don't have any others though, so I'm hoping everything else can get away with a bloody good clean.
First task, remove the Gary socket. Normally, I would just cut the old socket off and then de-solder the pins but, for some reason, I decided to be a bit more careful and I'm glad I did. Once I had the socket off I could check for any further damage (there was a little bit) and try to clean any other corrosion up.
|Gary socket gone - some cleanup works carried out.|
|Half Completed Gary|